Thursday, July 21, 2011

Third Blog: In which Captain America is awesome, I make stuff, and I hate all my friends

Good morning.

So the first big story of the day is that I went to the advance screening of Captain America last night. Its always a good thing when a Big Movie Mouth-off prescreening happens on a night when Adam and I are both off, and then its even better when its a movie that I know "my people" will be at. ("My people" referring to the geek crowd; Geek Show and Dr. Volts friends mostly.) Walking into the theater I saw Jeff Vice (MSN, Big Movie Mouth-off, Mediocre Show) in his usual spot, center of the press section, and Radio From Hell's Kerry Jackson one row behind him. I said hi and then walked up two rows to our seats in the section on the left and well whaddya know? There's Dave from Dr. Volts along with my friends Jay and Casey (and someone I didn't know) sitting right behind us. Adam hadn't ever met Casey or Jay so it was nice to make the introduction. Across the theater one row back and on the far right of the center was my friend Rob and his wife. I knew they would be there because Rob had won VIP passes from Big Movie Mouth-off. And as I was walking over to say hi, Richie T (also of Radio from Hell) stopped me and said hello as well. (I mention where some of my friends are from so you can have a reference point, but I clarify that I consider all of the aforementioned people my friends or at least my familiar acquaintances.) All in all it was a veritable smorgasbord of geekiness and there was a real feeling of camaraderie in the theater. We all knew what we were there for... we were an ocean of outsiders united for a common purpose.

Also I made a shirt. See?
That's not the best picture of my face area... but you get the idea. I cut out fabric and just glued it to a black tank top with Tacky Glue. I have to tell you, the hardest part was definitely allowing for the stretch factor. Those ribbed tank tops kinda shrink together when you're not wearing them, and I have to *ahem* allow for a lot of stretch. So I basically had to glue it on while I was wearing it, then take it off, stretch the shirt around some books and then let the glue dry. I will probably add some stitching at some point just to make it a little sturdier, but last night I didn't have time. So yes, anyway, the movie...

I have to start by saying I really knew nothing about Captain America going into this. I have the Avengers animated movies on Blu-Ray that Adam got me two years ago for Christmas, but other than he was a super soldier from the '40's, I knew zip. The awesome thing is, that really didn't hinder my ability to enjoy the film. There was a great origin story; they didn't belabor the point but they didn't assume anything either. I was drawn in right from the start (although I couldn't help thinking about Lucas Lee from Scott Pilgrim who was also portrayed by Chris Evans. I just wanted Cap to say "That's actually hilarious..." But that could just be me.) The character origin I felt fit smoothly in with the rest of the story. I never got the feeling of "okay here is the part where they need to tell us where he came from." It was a great story, well written and full of action and humor. The only distraction was the 3D. Although this was probably the best 3D I have personally seen in a movie (the only other movies I've seen in 3D are Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Harry Potter 7.2, and Green Lantern) I just don't really care for the whole 3D thing much, especially in the beginning of the movie where Chris Evans' face is CG imposed on a skinny body, it was much more noticeable with the glasses on than off.

But yeah, there were lots of laugh out loud moments, lots of great action scenes, and a well written script with great acting. It reminded me a lot of the first Iron Man movie in that I found myself surprised and impressed and enamored with a story and a character that was pretty much previously unknown to me. Also it has the same great balance of humor and action and it kept all of us on the edge of our seats with big smiles on our faces for the whole movie. I have no complaints about the movie, other than there was no Avengers teaser at the end of the movie which I'm pretty sure was supposed to be there. Here's a link to it... its a leak online so watch it while you can. Also, Warning: contains shakycam and woots. I have to say though... at first I didn't really care that much about the Avengers movie coming out, but I loved Iron Man and loved Cap and now I'm getting excited. (Still haven't seen Thor. I know I know.)

Me getting to see Cap last night is the only thing I have on my friends who are at ComiCon right now. I have to say, I try to be a good friend and just be happy for them that they get to go, but I have to admit that I am feeling stabby hate envy toward them. Especially those who tweet, post, and facebook update all the fun they're having (Jimmy, Bryan, Jeremiah...lol!) Mostly my jealousy stems from things like hearing stories from last year of drunk dancing with Joss Whedon to Summer Nights and hanging out with Nathan Fillion. Hanging out?! With Captain Mal?!?! I swear if I ever meet him all I'll be able to manage is a sincere Browncoat's salute and the word "Captain...". I mean, what do you say when you meet your heroes? I can't even imagine... And here they are probably about to meet him AGAIN! So yeah... I haz a jealous. But hey, I got to see Cap and they haven't yet. And at this point I need to start focusing on my own Con experience: Anime Banzai coming up in October. I need to see if I can save up enough money for my cosplay outfits and wigs and accessories etc. But my friend Travis is coming up from Cheyenne and I have a feeling we are gonna have a blast! More on that later.

On a side note, no roller derby for me tonight, which sucks because I know we will be learning from a pro tonight. I haz a foot boo boo and plans tonight to see Crazy, Stupid, Love with the hubby. Like I said, our date nights are rare and I take full advantage of every one I can get. But I do know that we are doing drills again next week so I'm looking forward to that. P.S. If you want to do roller derby with me, you can contact the Red Rockettes via facebook or redrockettes@rocketmail.com.

Well I don't suppose I have anything really thought provoking to close with today. Go see Captain America when it comes out and if you haven't seen Firefly yet its on Netflix streaming and everyone should give it a watch. And if you're at ComiCon this week I hate you. Not really. But kinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment